Tuesday 19 February 2013

a classic time piece

Since the battery on my men's Seiko chronograph steel watch stopped about three years ago I have unsuccessfully been relying on my Blackberry. I have had my Seiko for 11 years and wore it during a time when oversized watches were not as popular as they are now. After a long time of wearing something significantly chunky on my wrist I felt like a change. Something a bit more chic and I also wanted to get a new watch that was timeless that I could wear for a very long time to come.

After establishing a budget of what I was willing to pay I decided on doing research and narrowed it down to the Cartier Tank Francaise and the Hermes Cape Cod. In fact I have been lusting after the Francaise for a number of years.  So I went to Bond Street and did some investigating. I tried on the Francaise Tank and the Galbee but though both beautiful in their own right I just felt they were a bit too flash and ladylike for me. I almost felt that I needed to be forty years old to wear one as they are very elegant timepieces and too be honest I am not elegant.


Cartier Tank Francaise


 Cartier Santos Galbee


I then turned my intention to the Hermes Cape Cod with a single strap. Nice watch but I couldn't justify the price of this watch considering that Hermes reputation is with leather goods and not timepieces. If I had unlimited amounts of cash I would quite happily get this watch but unfortunately I am not in such a position and though nice wasn't nice enough.


Hermes Cape Cod


Finally I turned my attention to the Cartier Tank Solo.  I love this watch for the simplicity in the design. It comes in three sizes and I chose the large size. It comes in small, large and extra large. Its lightweight and if I wanted I could replace the leather strap with a stainless steel bracelet strap. Personally I like the leather strap and eventually I will replace the black strap with a brown strap. The watch is also secured with a deployment buckle which makes it easy to put on.


Cartier Tank Solo
 
 

I got my watch from Harrods in Terminal 5 at Heathrow tax free and also before Cartier increase their prices which is anytime now.

No comments:

Post a Comment