Monday 5 March 2012

diy cotton napkins

Yesterday, I completely gutted my kitchen cupboards to rid the old for the new. Let me tell you there was a lot of old! Recently, I have been inspired to revamp my crockery as its a bit samey samey matchy matchy (technical description). What I want is a mix and match of vintage and new crockery but with a bit more character.

So I have been buying vintage plates on ebay and etsy to start this process off. The other reason for this change is because we have some planned visitors staying with us over the next few months and I want them to start their days with a full english breakfast served in glorious splendor. I feel after writing that last sentence I may haveset myself up for a fall but I am willing to give it a go (to achieve the splendor and not the fall :)).

My other half was away visiting family in Holland so I was left twiddling my thumbs for most of the weekend....which is fine because I revelled in my alone time. After searching online for some cotton napkins (to kickstart the planned glorious splendor as mentioned above lol), there was not a lot that I liked for the price I wanted to pay. I then remembered I had a remnant of some Cath Kidston fabric that I bought some years ago with the intention of covering a chair cushion. The cushion never got covered and now I thought it could be put to good use as my future napkins. I googled "how to make cotton napkins" and the rest is Sunday night history.


Cutting out the fabric. I pre washed the fabric so to prevent shrinkage.


Folding the hems. The fabric was a bit damp which I found easier to work with.


Pinning the corners.


The finished articles. They measure 16" x 16".

Funnily enough I don't know how to operate a sewing machine so everything was done by hand. I kind of like that as I find it quite therapautic.

No comments:

Post a Comment