Thursday 15 March 2012

peanut butter and chocolate cookies

Tried the oven for the first time last night. To be honest I prefer the old oven because it heated up quicker but alas I guess I have to get used to the new one.

I made peanut butter and chocolate cookies last night. I always use the same recipe from The Hummingbird Cook Book because quite frankly these cookies can’t be beaten in my opinion. They are crunchy but chewy in the middle plus I make them extra large too.  If I require chocolate in recipes in most cases I will always use Cadburys’ Daily Milk Chocolate chopped up. In terms of the peanut butter I prefer a chunky version for the added texture and crunch.



Do you like my jam jar glasses? They are actually old jam jars that indeed make great glasses. I discovered this tip when I was visiting friends in America over 10 years ago and my friends used jam jars all the time!

This is the recipe. They always turn out good.

Ingredients

225g unsalted butter
200g caster sugar
200g light soft brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
240g peanut butter
340g plain flour
2 1/2 teaspoons bicarb.
1/2 teaspoon salt
75g dark chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 170c/325f/gas 3. Grease and line a few baking trays with greaseproof paper.

2. Mix the butter and 2 types of sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, making sure all the ingredients are well incorporated. Turn the mixer down to low, and add the peanut butter and vanilla extract.

3. Then add the dry ingredients, flour, bicarb and salt, and mix until the dough is smooth. Stir in the chocolate until it's evenly mixed.

4. Arrange on a baking tray in balls with gaps between as these cookies spread. Bake for 10 minutes, or just until they start to turn golden at the edges and cracked in the middle. If they feel soft in the middle, still take them out, as they continue cooking after being taken out of the oven and this makes them perfect and chewy after they've cooled.

5. Enjoy with a glass of milk.

1 comment:

  1. cute! xxx love the jam jars and want a cookie immediately :)

    ReplyDelete