Wednesday 7 March 2012

porridge

If there was an award for the best all round breakfast I think it would have to go to porridge. Note the “all round” description there as nothing will beat any breakfast that contains bacon in my opinion but for nutritional value, speed of preparation and cost I think porridge is the standout winner.

This morning was one of those mornings which made getting out of bed the all the more difficult. Though grey, wet, cold and windy these are the fundamental factors that make porridge the only real option to counteract these elements outside. So as the other half was packing his bag for work, I prepared the breakfast from a packet of oats, a mix of water and milk and a spoonful of golden syrup. Took less than 5 minutes. 

Having been born and brought up in England, all I had known was creamy, rich and sweet porridge. I then studied and lived in Edinburgh during the university years and on stepping foot in Scotland this all changed.  My flatmate at the time from Aberdeen made porridge from the following ingredients; salt, oats and water. In my opinion it did not taste good then and it still does not taste good now, however, I now make porridge with a mixture of milk and water as it breaks up the richness and heaviness of the gloop which can be a mission to get down the gullet so early in the morning.


The two bowls of goodness from this morning.



1 comment:

  1. Got to love the salty scots porridge! (yuck)

    http://fabugloss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete